2020 ADT Teaching Topics Happy Hours
June 11 Motivating students in an online environment
June 25 Addressing academic integrity concerns
July 9 Racial justice, policing, and related topics
July 23 Pros & cons of teaching online classes asynchronously vs. synchronously
Aug. 6 Finding the fun and joy in online teaching and learning
Aug. 20 Creating a supportive online environment in turbulent times
Sept. 3 The limits of leniency
Sept.17 Reality check: How did the first weeks of classes go?
Sept. 30 The risks of student isolation
Oct. 15 Here comes the election! What are your students saying?
Oct. 28 Language in a world of controversy: Is what you say what they hear?
Nov. 12 Post-election moods: Coping with the post-election fallout
Dec. 2 Grading in the COVID era
September 27, 2019 Fall Workshop: Teaching in a World of Controversy: Fostering Respectful Dialogue in All Disciplines
This University of Minnesota workshop was presented by the Academy of Distinguished Teachers on Friday, September 27, 2019, 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., in the Mississippi Room, 3rd floor of Coffman Memorial Union, Minneapolis East Bank campus. Watch the video of the event.
2018 Biennial Fall Retreat: The 21st Century Classroom: Physical Spaces and Classroom Climate
The 2018 retreat will be held September 21-23 at Ruttgers' Bay Lake Lodge. ADT members may register at https://goo.gl/forms/s8pAHHlQsmRXYMDA2 until available space is full. For information, contact Chris Bremer at [email protected] or 612-625-6176.
2018-19 ADT Conversations
These events, typically luncheons, are held on the Twin Cities campus and digitally available in real time on other campuses. Advance sign-up is required for those attending in person (contact Chris Bremer at breme006 @ umn.edu or 612-625-6176)
- Sept. 27, 2018 - ADT meeting with Adam Finkelstein, 2:00-3:00 PM, Morrill 300. Classroom Spaces for Engaged Learning
- Nov. 28, 2018 - ADT luncheon, noon to 1:30, Morrill 300 David Crane, Office of Classroom Management
- Jan. 30, 2019 - ADT luncheon, noon to 1:30, Morrill 237 Andy Furco, Office of Public Engagement. Engaging with the Public: Strategies and Approaches for Strengthening the University's Relationship with Minnesota's Citizens - CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER; will be rescheduled.
- Feb. 19, 2019 - ADT luncheon, 11:30-1:00, Morrill 237 Bill Doherty, Professor of Family Social Science and co-founder of Better Angels www.better-angels.org
- March 27, 2019 - ADT luncheon, noon to 1:30, Morrill 300. Topic TBD.
2019 Teaching and Learning Conference
Every two years, the Academy sponsors a University-wide conference to facilitate discussions about teaching and learning at the University among faculty, instructional staff, and graduate students. Held in the spring in conjunction with the Distinguished Teaching Awards ceremony and reception. The upcoming conference will be held in the fall of 2019.
- April 26, 2018 - ADT luncheon with Interim Vice President for Equity and Diversity Michael Goh and Director of Education for the Office of Equity and Diversity Stef Jarvi on Classroom Climate.
- December 7, 2018 - ADT luncheon with Executive Vice President and Provost Karen Hanson and Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs, Rebecca Ropers-Huilman on Learning Spaces.
- April 17, 2017 - ADT luncheon with Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs, Rebecca Ropers-Huilman, David Langley (CEI), Jane O'Brien (CEI) and Annette McNamara (ATSS) on Peer Review of Teaching.
- March 16, 2017 - ADT luncheon with Donnalee Attardo, OIT Academic Technology, on The Future of Moodle.
- December 5, 2016 - ADT luncheon with Scott Lanyon, Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School on Addressing Challenges in Graduate Education.
- October 24, 2016 - ADT luncheon with Gary Christenson, Chief Medical Officer at Boynton Health, on Student Mental Health.
- March 1, 2016 - ADT luncheon with Rebecca Ropers-Huilman, the new Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs.
- October 13, 2015 - ADT luncheon with Allen Levine, interim Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs.
- April 6, 2015 - ADT luncheon with Bob McMaster, Vice Provost and Dean for Undergraduate Education.
- December 12, 2014 - ADT luncheon with Andy Furco, Associate Vice President for Public Engagement.
2017 Teaching and Learning Conference
The most recent previous conference was held on April 27, 2017 and featured a variety of useful and innovative presentations. See program here.
A highlight of the conference was the keynote address by Dr. Edward Ehlinger, Minnesota's Commissioner of Health.